We love it when people come here to learn more about Portland and share with the rest of the world. Portland’s quirkiness has gained recent notoriety, thanks to Portlandia, but it’s hard to really capture the whole picture of our creative and eccentric community. We have to hand it to Paavo Steinkamp, host of American Hipster Presents, for pretty much nailing it.
Paavo travels to ten cities across the country, making video portraits of American trendsetters. Though some would associate “hipster” with a negative connotation, Paavo uses the term as a celebration of the new wave of creative pioneers that are shaping our future. For each city, there are five short videos—one for food, art, style, music and social.
American Hipster Presents just debuted the Portland episodes, and we loved the edgy glimpse into Portland life. We consider ourselves pretty up-to-date on what’s happening in town, but Paavo managed to sneak in a few makers that we’d never heard of! In the five episodes he features:
1. KeeganMeegan & Co.: An ex-couple who own a rad letterpress printing company
2. Jake Ryder: Creator of freak bikes (bikes that are taken apart and remade with a twist)
3. Voodoo Doughnut: You guys already know about these guys, but it’s pretty funny to watch Paavo eat a giant penis-shaped, cream-filled doughnut
4. Schoolhouse Electric: The purveyor of gorgeous, industrial-style light fixtures and other home accessories
5. STRFKR: “The Portland band with the contentious name” that spent more time on tour than they spent at home these past few years
American Hipster Presents
Watch all of the episodes here!
Written by: Lauren Kodiak